Friday, August 21, 2009

There's a Clock in My Floor

Despite extensive searches to locate the ticking, it has been narrowed down to a small area in the middle of the floor in the entry way (on the west wing of the apartment, of course). I cannot come up with a more logical conclusion that someone misplaced, buried, or hid a clock in my floor.

Point of interest: I think I have ringworm.

Now I realize that my posts have not spoken much about what exactly I am doing down here and even some have eluded that my blog looks like a vacation diary...so let me fill you in. My first few weeks have been a time of relationship building and participation. Monday night bible study with a pastor from the church in Flamengo and one of the worship leaders (about 12 total in the study), Wednesday night service in Morro Azul (favela in Flamengo), Thursday night (worship service, main church Flamengo), Saturday mornings prayer breakfast in Morro Azul followed by English classes, and Sunday night services at Morro Azul. I have been interviewing and visiting different English schools because I will need to teach part time in the mornings. Nothing has materialized, yet, but it will.

Bangu, Villa Alianca. I will be focusing on get a medical clinic that is pretty close to completion up and running. This clinic will have both medical and dental offices. In addition, I will be teaching English in this favela once a week and working with the kids in an afterschool program offered through the church.

English is in extremely high demand here. It seems like everywhere I go most people are either studying it or want to study it. I see this as an incredible tool for outreach while meeting practical needs...speaking English opens the doors to many opportunities (except teaching English, apparently).

I am at almost all activities the church offers during the week and take advantage of any opportunity I get to enter the favela. My hope is that the community of Morro Azul will have more options than only attending church services in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment