Friday, August 14, 2009

I Love Jiu Jitsu

As much as I love jiu jitsu, I just not willing to pay the prices they are charging here...what a shame.

This morning at the free gym there was a guy with califlour ear, wearing fight gear. I asked him if he practiced jiu jitsu and he told me that he teaches it. He said classes around here were expensive but we could meet up tonight and go to his class together...awesome!!! He came to our meeting place riding a bike and pulling a second one. We rode for over thirty minutes in rush hour traffic, with buses scaping our handle bars, to a downtown gritty, hardcore gym tucked away in a neighborhood. While we were training, I noticed that his gi had the phrase "atletas por Cristo" (athletes for Christ) and when we finished training I asked him if he was a Christian. He said absolutely and then we formed an instant bond talking about that. He asked me what church I attended and when I told him, he said that he goes there frequently but it is not his main church. In fact, he said he said he had sent an email to the leadership offering jiu jitsu classes as a form of outreach...ding, ding, ding!!! I couldn't believe it as I let him know how much I wanted to do that in the favela where I am working. We talked all the way home, while riding, about working together in the future using his talents and my love for jiu jitsu to reach the kids in the favela. He embraced the idea and wants to make it happen. He recognized that our meeting was God ordained and was really excited about making this a ministry. INCREDIBLE!!!

btw...I tapped out a couple of people unfortunately I was tapped out more.

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! It's so great to see just how much God is in everything you are doing there and even blessing you with the little things your heart desires. Sorry to hear you got tapped, I'm sure you'll get better with time...you should teach him the Peruvian Neck Tie! :)

    ReplyDelete