Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Great Discoveries and Mild Frustrations

New Discoveries
Supermarket that has aisles that accommodate more than one shopping cart
Lunch meat
Free gym in the park
Live music in the plaza
Relatively inexpensive laundry mat
24 Hour corner eatery only one block away
Cus-Cuz man
Subway station two blocks from home
Skype works from home
Church and work only a 10-15 minute walk
Found a ladder to clean the spanish moss off of the ceiling fan
If I lower the water pressure to a little less than a trickle I can get it hot

Mild Frustrations

Expense comparison: Regular rayban sunglasses: $300+, Nano 4mb $300+, Protein powder $55, Nike shoes $250-$300....Who can afford to live like this???? (good for me actually, no temptation to buy anything)
A small army of insects is determined to cohabitate with me despite my living on the 8th floor and repeated Raid attempts
My kitchen ceiling resembles the stalagmites at Carlsbad Caverns...soon to be fixed I am told
No escalators in the favelas...maybe a future project for us.
Language barriers...I went to a bible study last night and one of the pastors was in the study, as we were leaving he said something short to me in English and I told him to have a good night...his response "Your welcome." I feel like that many times when talking with others in Portuguese.


2 comments:

  1. Oi! Tudo bem? Obrigado! :) That is about all I remember from my semester of Portugese in college, although I can still read it because of my Spanish knowledge. I'm sure your Spanish will help you learn Portugese more quickly, Damon. Don't be discouraged! We will keep you in our prayers. We want know how we can specifically pray for you and the people you are serving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damon! Your life sounds awesome! Although, I do not think I could handle Raid not working on an army of bugs, honestly the rest sounds like a great adventure in your life. I'm also very curious about the Cuz-Cuz man. Does he think he's everyones cousin?
    Just remember, you know more Portugese than Jorge...what is barbwire!? :)

    ReplyDelete