Sunday, August 2, 2009

ARRIVAL

Upon arriving in Rio, the reality of a dream realized had not yet fully set in. I still felt as if I would only be here for a while and then have to return to the states. Melissa was waiting for me at the airport and we spent the day walking the streets as she showed me what to expect from her previous six weeks in Flamengo. The team, from City of Grace, arrived one day later a little exhausted but ready to roll. Our plans changed frequently but the team adapted well and were extremely gracious and flexible. Events included:

Touring Flamengo where I am living and working
Tour of the favela, Morro Azul, and Wednesday night service along with a meeting with the senor pastor of the church
Tour of another favela in Bangu (using planes, trains, and automobiles to arrive) where I will spend some time partnering with the local church and visit to a rehab center for former inmates, addicts, and dealers
Walking and more walking
Trip to Cristo Rendentor...the big statue at the top of Rio
A little beach time and a couple of churruscarias (all you can eat beef!!!!) Julie accepted the challenge to eat an entire skillet of fried cheese after we finished dinner...Mission accomplished...I was most impressed.

Our time together was precious and the team displayed unparalleled generosity and love. I will miss them greatly.


No comments:

Post a Comment